what this place is all about

Please use the pages link on the right, to navigate yourself to various contents.

latest updates

updated the thyroid examination - 2/6
Malay in the wards - 16/4/2017
updated Blood pressure examination - 23 August



Saturday 20 May 2017

The books I use (or used) in medical school

I've always hated reading the lecture notes (because I believe the essence of lecture lies not in the lecture notes itself, but the delivery) or the study material my university prepares for us.

Also I like the feel of books, so this is why I bought (like everyone else) books of my own, to aid my studies.

There were some books that I never touched even though I bought them - I have omitted them here.

Let me introduce the books I have ACTUALLY utilized during my medical school days. - in the order of frequency of use maybe.
I've put Amazon links because you can actually go there and look at OTHER PEOPLE's reviews. I think it's a good idea to get as many opinions as possible!

Macleod's Clinical Examination 




My university follows this book very closely for our OSCE sessions, and this book is great because it is very comprehensive, and filled with diagrams that are easy to understand. if you're going to buy ONE book for OSCE, be it this one - one could buy Talley's if you like to have explanations for everything you do.

Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine 



I really love this book because the information that we need per illness is nicely pressed and packed in this small book. It also has a bit of humor in it so it is a fun read as well. This is a book that is actually worth reading front to back. If you're getting ONE book in medical school, maybe it is this one. 

Oxford handbook of Clinical Examination and Practical Skills 



You may be asking "why do I need a second book for Clinical Examination?" but I like to bring a small book in my pocket in my white coat rather than holding a big book in my hand... and Oxford handbooks are really great looking things. I did read them quite a lot thanks to its portability 

Oxford Handbook of Surgery




Okay now, you might be thinking Oxford handbook again!? but ... well I think they're good. deal with it.
When I got to clinical years, I had to find one book to read from for surgey - as it was a new concept and I didn't know where to start. this book set my mind straight. it is also very concise and simple to read.

Harrisonn's Principles of Internal Medicine




this book is like the epitome of Medical Reference books. The reason why I like this book is because it is very comprehensive, and very intimidating. It is also very heavy, so you could probably knock someone unconscious in the event that someone is noisy in the library.
Jokes aside, I feel that this is the ultimate book to read up if your burning desire to know more about an illness isn't satisfied by either lectures or internet searches.

Netter's Clinical Anatomy 



Anatomy is ONE area of medicine that doesn't change over a few centuries, and therefore you won't be wasting your money by getting one book. If I were to choose ONE anatomy book to read from, for me, it was this - because it is more colourful, it is simple, and it is clinically oriented.

I never really enjoyed anatomy back in my first couple of years, but when I re-visit them after I have done my clinical years, I started to see how important it is. So currently I enjoy reading anatomy - back then, not so much. Tell me if you find a book that could INTRODUCE people to anatomy...

Clinical Microbiology made Ridiculously Simple




this book saved my life back in year 2 because (like everyone else) when I started microbiology, I was completely stunned at the amount of bacteria / virus we needed to be accustomed to (and the microbiology lecturer was like... "come on guys, you should ALREADY know this" - which wasn't the most helpful comment. I was feeling like I don't know where to start, UNTIL I read this book.

this book is filled with ideas to remember the multitudes of microorganisms, and it is presented in such a way that it is almost a storybook. Definitely a must, if you think microbiology is hard. Move on to other books if you have a good grasp of microbiology.


...So far, that's all I can think of! believe it or not, you can learn quite a lot of stuff online and therefore I only utilized a small number of books.... I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

hi. any kinds of comments are welcome! thank you...